This Specialty may also be offered as a dip served with croutons or crackers
• Small Baguette of French bread
• ¼ cup unsalted butter
• 1 cup finally chopped onion
• ½ cup finely chopped celery
• ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
• 1 small clove garlic, very finely chopped
• 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over and all bits of shell and
• 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
• 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
• ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
• Parsley sprigs, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the croutons, slice the baguette into ¼-inch rounds. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and toast just until pale golden. Turn and brush the other side lightly with olive oil, toast again until golden and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add and sauté the onion, celery and bell pepper until translucent and 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two, until tender but not browned. Add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir constantly until the cream cheese melts and the mixture comes to a simmer. Gently stir in the crabmeat, reduce the heat to very low and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the Creole seasoning, green onions, parsley, Parmesan and Swiss cheese. Stir together to blend and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
Divide the mixture among individual ramekins or shallow serving dishes and place on plate with several croutons alongside each one, for scooping. Garnish with the parsley sprigs and serve hot.