Algiers Point

Just a hop over the Mississippi River from the French Quarter, Algiers Point is FerryNew Orleans' second-oldest neighborhood. The Point was part of the land granted to New Orleans' founder Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, Sieur de Bienville, in 1719 as part of the "King's Plantation." Algiers Point grew rapidly after a ferry began service in 1827, and it formally joined the city of New Orleans in 1870.

Considered one of New Orleans' best-kept secrets, Algiers Point offers the charm of the French Quarter without the bustle. Architecture in the neighborhood dates as far back as 1840, with styles ranging from Creole Cottages and shotguns to Greek Revival and Victorian. The Point has a 19th century atmosphere - small neighborhood businesses, corner groceries and local restaurants are the way of life here.

Like many New Orleans neighborhoods, Algiers Point is known for its contributions to jazz. Early jazz musicians Papa Celestine, Kid Valentine, Memphis Minnie Douglas, Peter Bocage and Red Allen were all residents.

The neighborhood also has a steeped history in Hoodoo and Voodoo. With its plantation roots, Catholicism merged with slaves' spiritual practices to produce a new form of spirituality. Many local jazz and blues artists reference hoodoo conjuring and casting of spells, most notably the song "Algiers Hoodoo Woman."

The neighborhood is easily accessible with a short ferry ride, and the riverfront offers several miles of green space for walking and biking.